Support making the Chisholm Trail a National Historic Trail - public comment needed
The time is now to show your support for the Chisholm Trail.
The National Park Service has completed its comprehensive (170-page) study of designating the Chisholm Trail and Great Western Trail as National Historic Trails under the National Historic Trails Program. The entire study and invitation for comment is available online under “National Park Service – Chisholm and Great Western Feasibility Study.”
Your comments can help make this a reality!
Follow the link below to read the study and submit your comment of support. You do not have to read the study in its entirety to make a comment.
Once to the NPS site, click on
"Open for Comment,"
"Draft Chisholm and Great Western Feasibility Study and Environmental Assessment,"
We are now in a 60-day comment period before the study goes to Congress for possible action. It is critical that we give strong support for the proposal to make these two trails National Historic Trails during the official comment period, which runs through March 6, 2015. It is our hope that all organizations and persons interested in our cattle-western history and heritage tourism respond to the invitation for comment.
Unsure of what to say? Here are some suggested guidelines
- I support Alternative B of the study. (Alternative B supports the historic designation, Alternative A takes no action)
- That you and your organization (if applicable) see great heritage and economic benefits to National Trail designations.
- Mention that you and your area have strong connections to one of the trails through museums, festivals, events, education programs, historic markers and history.
- Thank Congress for authorizing the study, and commend the National Park Service for its excellent and thorough study.
- You look forward to having Congress implement the National Trail Designations, which might be in time for the 150th Anniversary of the Chisholm Trail in 2017.
This designation will benefit towns both on and off the trails. We appreciate your support.